Senior Mechanical Designer
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Product Designer will be responsible for increasing profitability of existing products, developing new products, and finding innovative solutions to address industry needs. This individual will use extensive knowledge of specialized design concepts, media, and software tools (SolidWorks, Excel) to develop innovative and comprehensive concepts and layouts building brand identities and developing messaging and imaging. This individual should be innovative, creative and a team player who is able to lead by example.
- Develop new products according to corporate strategy and build standardization into existing products.
- Design, develop, and test new products.
- Collaborate with other departments (e.g. Shop Floor, Applications, Purchasing, IT, etc.) to ensure project success.
- Ensure that designs are safe, efficient, effective, and able to be manufactured.
- Recommend and implement improvements to current design of products.
- Conceive creative concepts in response to client needs, translating such concepts into visual formats.
- Provide direct assistance in the building of brand identities and the development of messaging and imaging.
- Provide technical and creative guidance as required.
- Identify and offer solutions to complex design challenges as they present themselves.
- Assist with the development of project plans, project costing.
- Assist in the development and mentoring of junior designers.
- Enhance currently built products to improve quality, ease of assembly, reduced assembly time and reduce labor costs and waste on the shop floor using Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Liaise with Engineering Manager for R&D purposes, track R&D where applicable, and maintain ECN as drawing issues come up.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Solid design and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated innovative and creative thinker.
- Technical Diploma in Mechanical Design, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Tool & Die or equivalent considered an asset.
- Extensive Manufacturing, Machining and Assembly experience in an industrial/manufacturing environment.
- 7+ years of direct work experience required.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience with CAD software required, SolidWorks experience preferred.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience with EPDM and DriveWorks is an asset.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Passionate self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to analyze and interpret user requirements.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously with a demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated effective deadline management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate with a broad range of individuals including key members of design teams, various stakeholders and clientele.
- Experience with BOM’s and purchasing is an asset.
- DFA/DFM skills are an asset.
- Experience with sheet metal and trucks is a strong asset.
- Experience in Project Management is an asset.
- Must hold a valid class “G” driver’s license; must possess a valid passport for North American travel.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Travel as required
Annual salary based on experience and skills + benefits.