The Shop Supervisor is responsible for the overall functionality of the production team, including Health and Safety. He/she supervises the production team and directs the action of shop employees in daily work and assigned projects. This position is also hands on and part of the incumbent’s role will be spent in build for both assembly and vehicle upfit. The incumbent will also be responsible for quality control to ensure that quality is the top priority. The Shop Supervisor is also primarily responsible for suggesting new approaches to improve the organization’s manufacturing techniques and technologies. He/she will help initiate, develop and implement new LEAN initiatives. The Shop Supervisor is responsible for encouraging employee buy-in of new quality processes and must be able to overcome resistance to change. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Quality Orientation
- Customer Focus
- Team work
- Time Management
- Decision Making and Judgment
- Planning and Organizing
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Mediating and Negotiating
- Detail Orientated
- Mechanical / Electrical (DC) knowledge
What you’re responsible for:
- Manage and oversee the daily operations and organization of the production plant. Monitor operations for efficiency.
- Provide final and in WIP quality inspections.
- Provide technical leadership and train employees to improve operations, process and quality. Make suggestions as to how to improve these areas.
- Provide support and expert opinion to subordinates.
- Oversee all compliance procedures are in place and all safety procedures are followed to avoid any accidents or incidents.
- Ensure that all shop employees clock in/out of job and measure allocated vs actual time
- Improve production efficiency to ensure cost reduction and alignment of work with invoiced targets.
- Prepare and report daily challenges, issues and opportunities to the Operations Manager.
- Settle any disputes between employees using the corporate foundation and code of conduct as a reference.
- Ensure that the facility is fully secured every night before leaving for the day.
- Ensure that all company systems and policies are being followed and adhered to.
- Ensure that new employees are trained and oriented as appropriate for their new positions; perform follow-up sessions to ensure their proper fit within the company.
- Ensure time off system is being followed correctly, settle any issues relating to the time off system.
- Manage maintenance staff, ensuring that all requisite tasks are completed safely and efficiently.
- Keep current with technological changes and any governmental regulations relevant to the operations.
- Act as a leader and role model to shop employees.
- Use effective problem solving techniques within envelope of responsibilities to ensure continuance of production
- At least seven (7) years of previous supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment with proven leadership abilities.
- Proven record of implementing projects from start to finish.
- Effective leadership skills with a strong focus on operations and business processes.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret technical documentation, including design drawings (CAD).
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Maintains a high level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Overtime as required
- Travel as required
Key Performance Indicators (KPI): OLE (Availability / Performance / Quality)
- Availability: work balancing / scheduling / absenteeism / morale / training
- Performance: GP% increase / shop organization / 5S sustainability / lean Innovative improvements / time studies / communication
- Quality: training / continuous improvement / zero defects / right team
- Reduce Cycle time by 5%
- Reduce production stops by 10%
- Reduce build rework errors by 10%
Annual salary based on experience and skills + benefits.