Senior Mechanical Designer
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Mechanical Designer will be responsible for augmenting and redesigning, and increasing profitability of existing products, developing new and innovative products, and finding innovative solutions to address industry needs. This individual will use extensive knowledge of specialized design concepts, media, and software tools (SolidWorks, Excel) to develop and reimagine innovative and comprehensive concepts and layouts and assist marketing and sales in building and enhancing brand identities and developing imaging. This individual should be innovative, creative and a team player who is able to lead by example.
Product Design and Development
- Build, redesign, utilize and augment product line; build standardization into existing products.
- Recommend and implement improvements to current design of products.
- Design, develop, and test new and redesigned products.
- Collaborate with clients on product requirements; manage and maintain customer relations at all times
- Collaborate with other departments (e.g. Shop Floor, Applications, Purchasing, IT, etc.) to ensure project success.
- Ensure that designs are safe, efficient, effective, and able to be manufactured.
- Develop new products according to corporate strategy and client demands
- Collaborate with Marketing and Sales to conceive creative concepts in response to client needs, translating such concepts into visual formats.
- Provide support to Marketing in the building of brand identities and the development of messaging and imaging within the visualization of product development.
- Provide technical and creative guidance as required.
- Identify and offer solutions to complex design challenges as they present themselves.
- Assist in the development and mentoring of junior designers.
Project Management and Quality Improvement
- Assist with the development and coordination of project objectives, plans, costing.
- Monitor and evaluate progress of project(s); keep management informed of issues, overruns, timeframes and progress
- Ensure that each project is completed within the allocated budget and timeframe
- Assist with writing reports on projects for review by senior management and/or clients
- Ensure up-to-date scheduling and costing records are kept for each project
- Enhance existing products to improve quality, ease of assembly, reduced assembly time and reduce labor costs and waste on the shop floor using Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Liaise with Engineering Manager for R&D purposes, track R&D where applicable, and maintain ECN as drawing issues come up.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of a post-secondary program in Mechanical Design, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Tool & Die or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of seven (7) years of recent and related work experience; including experience with CAD software required, SolidWorks experience preferred.
- Extensive Manufacturing, Machining and Assembly experience in an industrial/manufacturing environment is required
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience with EPDM and DriveWorks is an asset.
- Demonstrated solid design and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated innovative and creative thinker.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Passionate self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to analyze and interpret user requirements.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously with a demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated effective deadline management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate with a broad range of individuals including key members of design teams, various stakeholders and clientele.
- Experience with BOM’s and purchasing is an asset.
- DFA/DFM skills are an asset.
- Experience with sheet metal and trucks is a strong asset.
- Experience in Project Management is an asset.
- Must hold a valid class “G” driver’s license; must possess a valid passport for North American travel.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Travel as required
Annual salary based on experience and skills + benefits.