Reporting to the President, the Controller is responsible for managing the accounting and payroll operations of the main company and its wholly owned its U.S. subsidiary. The incumbent will provide accurate financial information to the President and be responsible for directing and managing the company’s accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures; preparing consolidated financial statements and reports and maintaining the company’s accounting and personnel systems. In addition, this position involves supervision over general accounting, internal auditing, cost accounting, and budgetary controls. This position is also responsible for collecting, verifying, processing and maintaining payroll information, as well as assisting in the coordination of human resources practices and processes.
Hours of Work: Day shift, Monday to Friday
Manage Accounting Activities
- Calculate, prepare and issue accurate monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and other reports as required.
- Assist in the preparation of financial and monthly cash flow statements and annual budgets; assist and facilitate budgeting and forecasting.
- Implement and use online banking software effectively.
- Assist President and Management Team in strategic and business planning.
- Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting.
- Establish, implement and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are actioned in accordance with established legal, regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Coordinate financial reporting to various companies and agencies (e.g. TPC, Insurance, Stats Can, etc.); facilitate audits as necessary
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Ensure rapid and consistent collection of receivables by refining and implementing control mechanisms.
- Learn, implement and utilize LEAN Principles for Manufacturing, Office and Accounting; liaise with and advise Management on cost management, cost control measures and the cost effectiveness.
- Oversee transactional accounting processes including issuing of checks, payment of invoices, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Maintain loan schedules.
- Maintain accounts and relations with bankers.
- Exert care and control over assets and records and establish procedures for safeguarding, including security and computer backup (copy virus checked and stored off-site).
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization’s books of account.
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities.
- Responsible for managing and evaluating the performance of personnel in the Accounting Department.
- Furnish internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnish external reports as necessary.
- Determine depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and advise Management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax revisions.
- Facilitate corporate tax filings in Canada and USA.
Payroll and Benefit Administration
- Maintain records of employee attendance, leave and overtime to calculate pay and benefit entitlements, using manual or computerized systems.
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, garnishments and insurance and pension plans.
- Prepare employee payments and benefit payments by cheque or electronic transfer.
- Complete, verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leaves, employment and medical insurance.
- Prepare T4 statements and other statements.
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters, and benefit plans.
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts.
- Prepare and balance period-end reports and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements.
Human Resources Administration
- Ensure compliance with applicable regulations and company policies
- Collect, record and manage all new hire information; maintain manual and electronic personnel files
- Facilitate and administer the recruitment and selection process including job postings, screening, interviews, and references
- Complete and submit all new hire documentation, including benefit applications and government documentation
- Maintain and update manual and computerized filing and registration systems; compile and prepare reports relating to personnel activities as required.
- Arrange for in-house and/or external training activities.
- Work with external accountants as needed.
- Other related duties as required or assigned.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
- Professional accounting designation or actively working towards one is an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial management including accounting, payroll and human resources
- Demonstrated superior computer skills, with advanced level skill in MS Excel and Outlook.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; skill in effectively communicating with various internal and external stakeholders
- General understanding of computerized accounting systems; experience with ERP software an asset.
- Demonstrated ability working under tight deadlines while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information; work effectively with tact and discretion and the ability to remain impartial.
- Must hold a valid class “G” driver’s license; must possess a valid passport for North American travel.
- Travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Overtime as required
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
All applications appreciated. Only successful applicants will be contacted.